Quilt #4 is in the books! This is the “boy” baby quilt made with the other half of the Simply Style by V and Co. jelly roll. I love it just as much as the “girl” one, if not more. I know I’ve said it before but I’m crazy over this fabric line.
Baby Boy Jelly Roll Jam Quilt
Slouchy quilt in the backyard
My friends had an adorable baby boy the morning after I finished making this little quilt for him. Just like I did for this quilt’s more feminine counterpart, I used this tutorial on Vanessa Christenson of V and Co.’s blog. She created this fabric line I love so much for Moda. The jelly roll jam pattern was made by Fat Quarter Shop and can be found here. Fat Quarter Shop, where I happily buy most of my fabric, also made a very useful instructional video for this pattern.
The pattern starts with sewing together three 6 piece strip units. Next, the units are paired, some flipped around, to make nine quilt blocks in three configurations.
Quilt blocks before sewing them together
The nine quilt blocks are sewn together to make the quilt top.
BLOOD, a little sweat, but no tears this time.
I’m trying to get in the habit of making labels for my quilts. I think it’s important for a keepsake quilt but it’s also kinda difficult to attach it in the correct spot so late in the quilting phase. I stabbed myself with a pin trying to stitch this one to the back of the quilt. I only tell you about it so you’ll think I’m tough. Full contact quilting. Don’t worry, I didn’t bleed on the quilt.
The Quilt Stats
Finished size: about 35″ x 35″
Quilt top fabrics: 18 strips from Simply Style by V and Co. for Moda Jelly Roll
Quilt back fabric: Bella Solids Graphite yardage
Binding: Navy Blue Frames yardage from Simply Style by V and Co. for Moda
Batting: Warm and White
Quilt label: handmade from the jelly roll scraps and Bella Snow yardage
Quilting: straight line quilting
Peek at the quilt back
The quilt back with the label
I straight line quilted this one just like its counterpart. I also used the same machine binding method for durability. I sewed the double fold binding to the back first, then flipped and pinned it to the front using my new Clover clips. I machine sewed it to the front, as well, being careful not to sew over the backside of the binding. I succeeded this time – no accidental stitches on the binding – hooray!
This quilt was fun to make and I’m really happy with the end results. It worked out well to use this pattern and single jelly roll to make two identical quilts. The thorough instructions got me through the first one with barely any mishaps and doing a familiar pattern a second time let me focus on precision and improving new techniques. I already received a sweet thank you photo of the adorable baby recipient lounging on his quilt. Victory!