I’m always looking for new sides. Somehow (maybe MyFitnessPal emails?), I came across this post for Summer Veggie Stuffed Zucchini from the Mountain Mama Cooks blog. I can rarely leave a recipe alone so I changed it up a little.
olive oil spray
2 zucchini per serving, depending on the size of the zucchini. I used 6 small zucchini. Larger zucchini will work out better.
1 small red bell pepper, diced
1 bunch of green onion, diced
tablespoon of minced garlic
about 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/2 cup to 1 cup fresh spinach, stems removed
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and spray it with olive oil.
2. Wash the zucchini and trim off the ends. Slice all the zucchini in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to gently scoop out the insides of the zucchini halves. Save the insides in a bowl.
3. Arrange the zucchini “boats” on the prepared cookie sheet.
4. Prepare the red bell pepper, green onion, cherry tomatoes, and spinach. Cut up the zucchini pulp.
5. Spray a pan with olive oil and cook the bell pepper, white parts of the green onion, and the zucchini insides with a tablespoon of minced garlic over medium heat for about ten minutes.
6. Add the rest of the green onion, quartered cherry tomatoes, and spinach. Cook until the spinach is wilted and everything is heated through.
7. Pour the vegetable mixture into a bowl. Add in the shredded parmesan and breadcrumbs and stir. Start filling the zucchini “boats” with the vegetable/cheese/breadcrumbs mixture. Sprinkle more breadcrumbs and parmesan on top of each stuffed zucchini if desired.
8. Bake the stuffed zucchini for about 25 minutes.