I saw a video recipe for three ingredient peanut butter cups. I made the recipe with SunButter, which is very tasty sunflower seed butter, instead. The jar says you can substitute it one for one for peanut butter in recipes.
Yield: about 12 mini muffin cups
1 and a 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup SunButter
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
1. Place liners in a muffin tin. I used a mini muffin tin and mini liners. It made 11 cups.
2. Melt the chocolate chips in a bowl in the microwave. I cooked for 30 seconds, stirred, and repeated that two more times.
3. Pour the SunButter into another bowl. Stir the powdered sugar into the SunButter until it’s mixed in.
4. Fill the muffin liners a little over a third of the way with melted chocolate. Top with a small spoonful of the SunButter mixture. Top that with enough melted chocolate to cover the SunButter and fill the liner almost to the top.
5. Refrigerate overnight.
6. Peel the liner off and experience anaphylaxis-free, chocolatey, nutty yumminess. Store them in the refrigerator.
Verdict: rich and delicious! I’ve been missing out!
Robbie says these are much better than the real thing, but he also says SunButter doesn’t taste like peanut butter. He hates peanut butter and likes SunButter so there’s a definite bias here. I’m going to seek out more taste testers and report back.
I started with a cup of milk chocolate chips based on the video recipe and needed to melt more. I upped it to 1 and a 1/4 cups but still had some of the SunButter mixture left over. I think 1 and a 1/2 cups would work best and would probably be enough to yield an even dozen cups.