I am not a chocoholic. I prefer really good bread or a sugar cookie over chocolate cake and I would never even consider eating chocolate ice cream. But then these muffins came into my life. Chocolate with chocolate inside and chocolate on top. Send me to chocolate rehab because I am chocolate wasted.
Slightly adapted from this recipe by B. Britnell.
1 and 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
heaping 1/4 cup of cocoa powder
1 cup of powdered sugar
1 cup soy milk
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
heaping 1/4 cup of unsweetened apple sauce
heaping 1/2 cup of vegan chocolate chips (I used the Enjoy Life brand.)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard muffin pan with liners.
- You need a large bowl and a medium sized bowl. The large bowl is for the dry ingredients to which you will add the wet ingredients later.
- In the large bowl, stir together the flour, salt, baking soda, cocoa powder, and powdered sugar.
- In the medium bowl, stir together the soy milk, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract, and apple sauce.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until it’s just combined. This is one of those things you don’t want to overstir so break up any chunks of cocoa powder or powdered sugar before you add in the wet ingredients.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Evenly distribute the batter across the twelve liners filling them up about 2/3 of the way. Top each with 4 or 5 chocolate chips.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Conduct the toothpick test to be sure they’re ready.
- You now have a dozen warm, chocolatey, chocolate muffins with chocolate chips on top. You are welcome.
Robbie, the dessert shunner, ate three! of these babies. I brought them to work and everyone there ate two each. They’re really special. I can’t wait to make them for my parents, the true chocoholics.