I like fall and squash. I saw this recipe for penne with butternut squash and goat cheese on the Food Network’s site. I made deliciously cheesy pasta based on it.
Cheesy penne and butternut squash closeup
box of penne pasta
medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into small cubes
yellow onion, diced
salt & pepper, to taste
about 5 oz goat cheese
crushed red pepper
shaved parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. Wash the butternut squash. Peel the skin off using a peeler. Cut the squash into small cubes.
3. Dice the onion.
4. Oil a cookie sheet with olive oil. Arrange the butternut squash cubes and diced onion on the cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 45 minutes. Set the vegetables aside to cool once cooked.
5. While the vegetables are baking, start boiling water to cook the pasta according to the directions on the box.
6. In a large bowl, add the goat cheese and break it up with a spoon.
7. Add in the cooked and drained pasta. It’s okay if a little hot water gets in there – it will help melt and mix up the goat cheese. Stir to coat the pasta with the goat cheese.
8. Add in the baked butternut squash and onion and stir gently.
9. Top with the spices to taste and stir. Sprinkle with a handful of shaved parmesan cheese.