I saw a very intriguing recipe on a blog called Healthy Nibbles and Bits, via one of my favorite blogs, Kalyn’s Kitchen. It’s cauliflower fried rice with baby bok choy. Robbie loves fried rice and I love cauliflower. I tried my own version adding tempeh and some different vegetables. It’s really quite delectable. I will be making this one again!
1 large head of cauliflower
1 package of tempeh
1/2 of a red bell pepper, diced
2 zucchini, chopped
a handful of snow peas
2 handfuls of bean sprouts
2 handfuls of spinach
1 and a half bunches of green onion
about a tablespoon of minced garlic
sesame oil, to taste
soy sauce, to taste
1. Cut tempeh into small squares and marinate in about 3 tablespoons of teriyaki sauce in a small bowl.
2. Heat a large pan for the vegetables and a small pan for the tempeh. Add a small amount of peanut oil to the small pan and a small amount of sesame oil to the large pan.
3. Wash the large head of cauliflower and chop it into smaller pieces. Place the pieces in a food processor and process briefly to achieve a rice-like size and shape. It didn’t take long at all and my food processor is not very good.
4. Start browning the tempeh in the small pan, turning to brown each side of each cube.
5. While the tempeh is cooking, wash and chop/prepare all of the vegetables. Throw them in the large pot in the following order, stirring and waiting a minute or two for each to cook: red bell pepper, zucchini, white parts of the green onion, snow peas, bean sprouts, spinach, green parts of the green onion.
6. Once the vegetables are cooked, add the cauliflower “rice” to the vegetables pan and stir. Add in about a tablespoon of minced garlic. Add soy sauce and sesame oil to taste.
7. Once the cauliflower has warmed up and the tempeh has browned, add the tempeh to the large pan. Add soy sauce and sesame oil as needed.