Robbie got me an electric fondue set for my first Mother’s Day! Dog mamas count too, y’all. I’ve been making cheese fondue for years on the stovetop because all the fondue sets I’d ever seen came with the goofy candle situation that never burns quite hot enough to keep the cheese melted. No more eating in front of the stove! Electric fondue set has us moving on up.
Here’s my tried and true recipe.
1 lb Swiss cheese, shredded
3/4- 1 cup dry white wine (like chardonnay)
3 tbs flour
several dashes of garlic powder
dash of paprika
dash of ground pepper
bite-sized pieces of veggies (cauliflower and broccoli are our favorites) green apple, and pumpernickel bread for dipping.
1. Shred the Swiss cheese into a big bowl. Add the flour to the cheese and stir to mix it up.
2. Prepare your “dippers”. The fondue melts very quickly so have your veggies, apple pieces, and bread chunks ready to go before your start heating the cheese. Measure your wine and get the garlic powder, paprika, and ground pepper handy too.
3. Turn the electric fondue pot on to 200 degrees.
4. Once it heats up a bit, pour in 3/4 cup white wine.
5. Add the cheese in handfuls, stirring to melt it and combine it with the wine.
6. Add the garlic powder, paprika, and ground pepper and stir.
7. Once everything is melty, it’s time to eat! You should definitely be drinking wine with your fondue, by the way.