My first quilt is finally finished! It’s, like, a really big deal to me, you guys. I feel like I wrote a novel or something. Here it is, my pride and joy!
Sneak peak of the back.
Folded up on my quilting table.
After three quilted pillows and a lot of reading about quilting, I went for it. I made the “easy lap quilt” from Bend-The-Rules Sewing by Amy Karol. For the quilt top I used some fat quarters I found at JoAnn’s Fabric and three shades of gray by Kona Solids (I think).
The finished quilt top.
After completing the quilt top I basted the three layers – quilt top, batting, and backing – together with pins. I had been able to successfully quilt my three smaller projects on my little old sewing machine but quickly had a disaster on my hands when it came to this quilt. Oh, the bunching! I did some more reading and realized I didn’t have the tools necessary to get the job done. I needed a walking foot and my machine couldn’t accomodate one. Robbie is the hero in this story for giving me my amazing new Janome MS5027PR sewing machine (complete with walking and free motion feet) for Christmas. Thank you, Cute Husband!
After ripping out a lot of quilting stitches – so annoying! – I basted the quilt again on the floor of the spare room in our new house.
I taped the backing to the floor to discourage shifting while pinning.
The quilting took longer than I would have liked but I was learning how to use my new machine at the same time so I guess that’s to be expected. I stitched in the ditch in between each strip vertically and added more vertical quilt lines sort of randomly. I thought it needed more so I quilted some horizontal lines too. I quilted one line on either side of each horizontal fabric join. I struggled with the horizontal quilting because there was nothing nearby to use as a guide. I used blue painter’s tape but it was pretty horrible so next time I’ll use a washable marker of some kind.
A closeup of the quilting lines.
Next I squared up the quilt as best as I could. It meant cutting it smaller than I would have liked but it was worth it to get everything ready for easy binding.
Squared up quilt.
My binding strips.
This was my first time binding anything so I was pretty nervous about this step. It really wasn’t that bad! And now that I’ve done it once I don’t feel scared anymore! I made the binding from strips of the quilt top fabrics. I machine sewed the binding to the front of the quilt. Here’s a photo of my first mitered corner.
Here is the binding sewn to the front of the quilt.
After that I folded the binding over to the back and blind stitched it by hand. It took quite a while but I’m happy with how it looks. It doesn’t look very sturdy to me though so I hope the hand stitching holds up over time and machine washes.
A closeup of the stitching the binding to the back.
Once upon a time, Sookie was a good girl! She laid on her bed in the sewing room and didn’t try to eat my quilt!
Some outdoor photos of the completed quilt.
And below is a photo of the back because I think you can see the binding better.
I’m already thinking about my next quilt. I want to make a larger one with Christmas fabrics but since I take forever I better get started on Christmas now!