For dinner Friday night I tried a slightly altered version of a new-to-me recipe from one of my favorite blogs, Kalyn’s Kitchen. She calls it Garlicky Zucchini Noodles with Tomatoes and Burrata. It was extraordinary. We enjoyed it with a California Pinot Noir. It made for a wonderful Friday night at home.
Makes 2 servings.
5 medium zucchini
2 tbsp minced garlic
1.5 cups cherry tomatoes
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp dried sage
3 balls of fresh Mozzarella
1. Wash the zucchini, cherry tomatoes, and fresh basil. Cut the ends off of the zucchini. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half. Cut the fresh basil into ribbons.
2. Mix the dried spices together in a bowl.
3. Make the zucchini noodles by using a vegetable peeler to slice wide but thin slices of zucchini all around each of the zucchini. When you get to the seeds, discard the rest and move to the next one. I piled these on a plate as I worked.
4. Spray a deep pan with olive oil and heat on medium. Add the halved tomatoes and minced garlic. After cooking for about three minutes, add the mixed spices and stir. Cook for another three minutes.
5. Add the zucchini noodles. Stir and cook for about five minutes, stirring occasionally until the zucchini is heated through and the tomatoes start to create a sauce.
6. Add the fresh basil.
7. Serve the zucchini and tomato mixture. Cut the fresh Mozzarella balls into eight pieces. Top each serving with half of the Mozzarella pieces. Add salt and pepper to taste.