Eggplant parmesan is my best favorite food. After pizza. I haven’t had much success making the breaded version but I saw a recipe on the Food and Wine website that seemed doable and yummy so I tried it. I am happy to report that I pulled it off and it was really good! Robbie made the garlic bread – also phenomenal!
Grilled eggplant parmesan is best with garlic bread made by Robbie – he never skimps on the garlic.
1 large eggplant
3 tomatoes on the vine
jar of spaghetti sauce (Gia Russa Tomato Basil is preferred in our house.)
mozzarella cheese, sliced into thin chunks
shredded parmesan cheese
Right out of the oven.
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Heat a grill pan over medium heat. Spray with olive oil.
3. Wash and peel the eggplant. Slice it into 1/4″ slices.
4. Slice the tomatoes into thin slices.
5. Spray the eggplant with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Place them on the grill pan in batches, flipping after about 2 minutes. Repeat with the tomato slices.
6. Arrange the grilled eggplant on the cookie sheet so that they are slightly overlapping. Top with the grilled tomato slices.
7. Spoon some of the spaghetti sauce over the tomatoes. Sprinkle the minced garlic, dried basil, dried oregano, and garlic powder to taste.
8. Strategically place chunks of mozzarella cheese for optimal cheese coverage. Sprinkle with the shredded parmesan.
9. Bake for about 15 minutes.
10. Serve with garlic bread.
Less work, fewer carbs, and almost as delicious as the original!