This is something I used to make when I was a single lady because it’s fast, easy, and makes enough to eat a few times. I also happen to think it tastes amazing and, if you get a low sugar BBQ sauce and don’t get crazy with the bread and (optional) cheese topping, it’s not bad for you either.
A shot of the Sloppy Joe filling. First thing I’ve cooked at our new house!
small onion, chopped
red bell pepper, chopped
green bell pepper, chopped
2 packages of tempeh, crumbled
about 1 cup of low sugar BBQ sauce like Stubb’s Original
buns, we like whole wheat buns
reduced fat Swiss cheese slices
1. Chop the onion and bell peppers into a medium-sized chunks.
2. Heat some vegetable oil in a large-ish pan.
3. Saute the onion and bell peppers for a couple of minutes. I like to keep the veggies on the crisp side for this recipe.
4. Crumble the two packages of tempeh into the pan and stir to combine. Cook for about 5 minutes to brown the tempeh.
5. Pour a cup of BBQ sauce into the pan. Stir to combine and cook just until everything is warm.
6, Pile a ton of the tempeh mixture onto a toasted bun bottom, top with a slice of Swiss cheese, then top with the bun top.
The filling is going to squeeze out the sides of the bun but that’s part of the Sloppy Joe experience. Come armed with a fork and some napkins.