Happy Easter! We enjoyed a tasty breakfast of scrambled tofu with spinach and avocado, toast, sliced strawberries, and mimosas! It was everything I wanted. There are a million recipes for scrambled tofu (and tofu scramble) online, but I really nailed this, if I do say so myself, so I’m sharing my version.
1 bunch of green onion, chopped
1 small-medium red bell pepper, chopped
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp mustard powder
a pinch of cayenne pepper
a sprinkling of ground sea salt
1 block of firm tofu, pressed and drained
drinking water, as needed to deglaze the pan
1 cup of spinach, stems removed
1/8-1/4 cup of nutritional yeast
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Press and drain the tofu. You don’t have to be as serious about this as usual because you want the tofu to remain on the damp side.
2. Wash and chop the green onion and bell pepper.
3. Heat about a teaspoon of olive oil in a large pan. Add the white parts of the green onion and cook, stirring.
4. Add the green parts of the green onion, the bell pepper, and the minced garlic. I kept some of the green onion to add at the end. Stir and cook for about seven minutes.
5. Add the spices from cumin to sea salt. Stir to combine. I added a small amount of water here to deglaze the pan and allow the spices to mix together better.
6. Crumble the tofu in with your hands. Stir to combine with the spices and vegetables. While the tofu is cooking, prepare the spinach. Add the spinach, stir, and keep cooking – 10 or so minutes total. Add small amounts of water if the tofu is becoming too dry.
7. When the tofu is cooked through, stir in the nutritional yeast and any reserved green onion. Serve garnished with avocado slices and salt and pepper to taste.