It is so hot here! Time for slow cooking and avoiding the oven. I found this list of vegetarian crockpot recipes in a post on Reddit. I decided to modify this Vegetarian Crockpot Curry Recipe to enjoy last night. The complete recipe with my changes is below. I went overboard with the chopped tomatoes. I think mostly because of that this dish wasn’t much of a curry, per se. We both still liked it. I used the whole box of Pomi Chopped Tomatoes but I will definitely reduce that to three quarters of the box or less in the future.
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 8 oz package of tempeh, cut into small pieces
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 red potatoes, cut into small pieces
2 medium yellow squash, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup carrots, diced
1/2 cup celery, diced
1 tbs minced garlic
2 tbs curry powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 cups vegetable broth
3/4 of a 26.46 oz container of Pomi Chopped Tomatoes, with juice
1 cup frozen peas
1. Prepare (wash, trim, chop) all vegetables.
2. Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
3. Chop the tempeh into small pieces.
4. Add the vegetables, chickpeas, tempeh, and minced garlic to the slow cooker.
5. Add the spices and salt and stir to mix everything around.
6. Add the vegetable broth and chopped tomatoes with juice. Stir to combine.
7. Cook on low for about 8 hours, stirring occasionally if possible.
8. Add 1 cup of frozen peas during the last 20 minutes.
9. Serve with naan, rice, or toast.