Sweet and sour tofu is my go-to order at most Asian restaurants (unless there’s massaman curry to be had). I love the combination of the slightly sweet and very tangy flavors and with all those vegetables it still feels healthy!
1 package of extra firm tofu (I freeze mine just for a few hours then move it to the fridge until I’m ready to use it. It gives it a great texture.)
1 tbsp cornstarch (plus about 3 tbsp for coating the tofu)
3/4 cup vegetable broth
3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp ketchup
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (I use a bit less because we are wimps.)
2 tbsp Smart Balance oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
vegetables for stir fry: onion, bell pepper, carrots, mushrooms, pineapple, and tomato are more traditional. I used: 1/2 green bell pepper, a zucchini, some baby spinach, and a pre-cut, pre-washed 12 oz bag of broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots.
1. Drain and press the tofu. Cut it into one inch squares.
Super high-tech tofu pressing device.
2. Make the sweet and sour sauce by mixing together the ingredients from 1 tbsp of cornstarch through the cayenne pepper. Place the tofu squares in the marinade, cover, and refrigerate while you complete the next step. If you have time it’s good to do this thirty minutes to an hour before you’re ready to stir fry the vegetables so that the tofu can absorb the marinade.
3. Wash and cut the vegetables.
4. Heat a medium-sized skillet with Smart Balance oil on medium heat. Pour about 3 tbsp of corn starch into a small bowl. Using a slotted spoon, lift the tofu squares out of the marinade and shake gently to drip excess marinade back into the bowl. Transfer the tofu squares in batches to the bowl of corn starch. Turn to coat the tofu with corn starch. Move the tofu to the hot skillet and cook until browned on all sides. Keep the bowl of sweet and sour marinade and set aside.
5. Meanwhile, in a larger pan heat some more oil. Add the garlic and then the rest of the vegetables. Stir fry until just cooked. Pour the remaining sweet and sour sauce over the vegetables and stir.
6. Serve the tofu and vegetables over rice or noodles. We like to eat it just the way it is by itself.