Our little Sookie girl is one year old! Her puppyhood went by so quickly. She still acts (and occasionally misbehaves) like a puppy so she’ll be my baby dog for a while longer. We had a little party for her at her favorite dog-friendly bar, New World Brewery.
Sookie indulged us by wearing a birthday hat, at least for a little while.
I made her a vegan, wheat-free, (arguably) gluten-free, soy-free, corn-free, peanut-free, no sugar added, doggie cake. I found several almost identical recipes online and followed them with a few changes. I most closely used this one and this one. It’s a SunButter and carrot cake. The other recipes called for peanut butter, an egg, and wheat flour. I don’t mess with peanut butter because I’m allergic or eggs because I don’t buy them. I chose to use oat flour instead of wheat or unbleached flour because I avoid feeding wheat to our dog.
Sookie’s doggie cake
1 flax egg (1 tbs flax meal mixed with 3 tbs water)
1 cup shredded carrots
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup SunButter, plus 1-2 tbsp (sunflower seed butter)
1/4 cup honey (I used a little less than this.)
1 cup oat flour (quick cooking oats pulverized in the food processor)
1 tsp baking soda
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8″ cake pan.
2. Make your flax egg by combining 1 tbs flax meal with 3 tbs water. Stir to combine. Set aside.
3. Make the oat flour by pulverizing a cup of quick cooking oats in a food processor.
4. Shred a cup of carrots. I used a vegetable slicer but since the food processor is already dirty that might be your best bet.
5. Combine the first five ingredients. Stir to mix by hand.
6. Combine the oat flour and baking soda in a small bowl.
7. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix by hand.
8. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 30 minutes. Mine was actually a tiny bit burnt around the edges after thirty minutes but my oven is wacky and I skimped on the honey so maybe check it at around 20-25 minutes just to be safe.
9. Once the cake was cool I spread a little more SunButter on top to look like frosting.
Sookie couldn’t wait to eat her cake!